Cancer Preventing Foods For Your Dog - Best 14 Foods
Did you know that cancer is the major cause of death in dogs that are over 10 years of age.
Most dog breeds have a cancer rate ranging from 10%-60%. Just like with humans, prevention is the best medicine and food plays a vitally important role.
However, if caught early, more than half of cancers are curable.
Here are the most common types of cancer in dogs.
Lymphoma - This cancer occurs in the lymph nodes and bone marrow and affects the dog’s immune system,
Mast Cell Tumors – This is very common in older and mixed breed dogs, this form of cancer affects areas of the body with high levels of enzymes and histamines, such as the skin, intestines, and respiratory system.
Melanoma – dogs can develop skin cancer that usually starts in the mouth and lips. It can also develop on the dog’s foot pads and nails. It can spread from the skin to other organs.
Osteosarcoma is bone cancer. It is more common in large breed of dogs. It can spread rapidly. Your dog’s diet is very important to prevent bone cancer.
Here are some warning signs of cancer in dogs.
A wound that doesn't heal, a new lump, coughing, swelling, or maybe your dog doesn’t have any energy and just doesn’t seem right.
If that is the case you need to take them into your vet as soon as possible to find out the cause.
If your dog does have cancer there are treatments such as surgery or on a rare occasion, chemotherapy.
The key is to make sure you take your dog into an annual checkup.
The National Cancer Institute has shown that 35 percent of cancers in humans are attributed to dietary imbalances. And it is the same for dogs.
In fact 80 to 90 percent of all cancers can be prevented by healthy food choices.
So the first step is to make sure you feed your dog the best dog food that doesn’t have artificial ingredients, or additives that are unhealthy.
Here is a list of the 14 best cancer preventing foods for your dog.
These 14 foods will help boost their immune system and flush out toxins and that help prevent cancer cells from forming.
These foods will give your dog the best chance of preventing cancer, even though there isn’t 100 percent prevention of cancer.
Oregon State University conducted a research and found that green vegetables contain chlorophyll which blocks the absorption of carcinogenic aflatoxins.
By giving your dog green leafy vegetables will help prevent this carcinogen from entering their bloodstream.
Chlorophyll helps block the absorption of carcinogenic aflatoxins. Some commercial dog foods contain carcinogenic aflatoxins, especially ones that contain corn.
Chlorophyll is like a gate keeper in that doesn’t allow carcinogens to enter. One side note is that dark greens are high in calcium oxalate, and if your dog is prone to kidney or bladder stones, then dark greens should be avoided.
What your dog eats has impact on stopping cancer before it has a chance to develop. Avoiding toxins and sugary carbs are vital, as cancer likes to feed on these.
Best14 Foods to give your dog to help prevent cancer
1. Broccoli. These greens are one of the best for helping prevent cancer, as they are high in antioxidants. Plus, broccoli has vitamins and minerals that are an anti-flammatory that helps boost your dog’s immune system.
With some dogs the greens on top of broccoli can cause gas. So you might want to give your dog the stems and not the tops.
In addition to broccoli, brussels sprouts are safe for your dog to eat and can help in cancer prevention as well.
My dachshund loves brussels sprouts as I steam them and make sure not to add any salt, pepper, or other ingredients.
2. Kale – can help prevent colon cancer in dogs as it is rich in vitamins and minerals Just like mainly greens you only want to give your dog small amounts as it can cause gastric upset. Like all greens, they contain chlorophyll, which helps prevent cancer in dogs.
3. Cabbage - Another green vegetable that helps prevent cancer. It can also help with your dachshund’s digestive system. However, just don’t give too much at a time as it can cause gas.
4. Blueberries – These are good for cardiovascular and rich in antioxidants. They contain fiber that helps especially in preventing colon cancer.
5. Cranberries – These are rich in antioxidants with vitamin c, A, B1 and B2. Cranberries are good for urinary tracts and also help boost your dog’s immune system.
Many dogs might not like the taste of cranberry as it is tart as well as sweet. You can buy cranberry supplements for your dog.
6. Olive oil and flax oil. These oils provide a good essential fat as it helps with blood sugar control, contains vitamins, minerals, and supports liver, tooth, and bone health. These oils strengthen your dog’s immune system.
I like to add olive oil in my pan when frying an egg, which I give to my dachshund.
7. Eggs. They are high in protein, Vitamin D3 and help prevent cancer in dogs. Most Dogs love the taste of an egg and you can prepare it either scrambled, boiled, or fried with a bit of olive oil. Just remember don’t add any pepper, salt, or other seasoning to the eggs.
8. Parsnips look a lot like carrot but white in color and tastes less sweet. Parsnips contain isothiocyanate, an antioxidant and vitamin K for bone health which can help prevent cancer.
You can feed your dog raw parsnips cut up in small pieces, or you can cook it as well.
Parsnips will boost your dog’s immune system and helps maintain a healthy nervous system as it contains vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
9. Peaches Many dogs like the taste of the juicy and sweet peach and is a healthy snack your dog will love. Peaches help remove toxins and are antioxidants.
Peaches also helps with keeping your dog’s skin healthy and fight against skin infections.
However, it is extremely important to make sure you remove the pit as this is toxic to dogs. Not only that but your dachshund might choke on the pits.
10. Plums are another sweet and juicy fruit your dachshund will like. They contain antioxidants and vitamin C and iron. Just as with peaches, the pit can be toxic or a choking hazard so you must remove it before giving it to your dachshund,
11. Salmon, Sardines, and Cod are good for your dog as they contain healthy fat and fights against cancer.
12. Fish Oil. Another good supplement that you can give your dog. Fish oil has healthy levels of fat and contains vitamin D3 to help fight against cancer.
13. Turmeric -contains curcumin, which is great cancer fighter. Curcumin helps stops the growth and spread of cancer cells , thus is an excellent additive to give your dog.
However, you need to give your dog a supplement so it gets absorbed in their body. If you merely sprinkle it loose in your dog’s food, it won’t get absorbed into his system and will go right through his body without being used.
14. Palm Fruit Oil - contains tocotrienols, which is a form of vitamin E. Many studies have shown that tocotrienols can block the spread of cancer cells.
Palm fruit oil helps control blood sugar, boosts immunity, and improves eye health.
You can mix this oil in with other foods as it aids in fighting cancers.