Foods your dog can eat
1. Cooked chicken meat is a great protein source of foods your dog can eat
Chicken is a great treat to add to your dog’s meal.
However, don’t give your dog any chicken bones as they can splinter and could be dangerous when swallowed.
A good choice is a skinless chicken breast that you can cook in a pan. I like to add just a teaspoon of olive oil which is good for you dog as well.
2. Carrots are a great snack or can put a small bit in their meal as well.
In addition to having vitamin A and high in fiber, they are beneficial for your dog’s teeth.
3. Yogurt is a good probiotic as it will help with your dog’s digestive system.
However, make sure you choose a plain yogurt that doesn’t have any sugar or sweeteners or any artificial flavor. And for your dachshund only give a very small amount such as a teaspoon size.
4. Eggs are a good protein source and a great choice for foods dogs can eat.
Just make sure you cook or boil eggs and don’t season them with any salt or pepper. Also, make sure you don’t give them any egg shells as that can be hazardous to your dog’s health.
5. Pumpkin is a good source of vitamin a and many dogs love the taste.
However, only use canned pumpkin that doesn’t have any added sugar or spices. For your little dachshund only give them a very small amount and only on an occasional basis, as some dachshunds have a sensitive stomach for pumpkin.
6. Green beans are one of the recommended vegetables to give to your dog.
First, they are very low in calories and so they are a good filler and won’t add weight to your dog.
In fact, many vets recommend giving green beans for overweight dogs as they can help lose weight. Mixing in some fresh green beans with their dog food is ideal.
7. Sweet potatoes is another good choice of food dogs can eat.
They are high in fiber and vitamin a and easy to digest for your dog. Again, make sure you server them plain and don’t add any butter, salt, or other seasoning.
8. Sliced apples are healthy choice of foods dogs can eat.
Most dogs love the taste of a juicy apple and they contain vitamin c and vitamin a. The skin is okay, but make sure you don’t give them any seeds as those are hazardous to your dog’s health.
9. Bananas are also on the list of foods your dog can eat.
Bananas contain potassium and vitamin B. In addition bananas are high in fiber which helps with if your dog has gastrointestinal issues. Plus, bananas contain magnesium which helps promote bone growth.
But, bananas are high in sugar so make sure you only feed your dog very small amounts. Mashup a small tsp size and mix with their dog food is a good treat.
Be careful not to give them banana peels as this can cause blockage and stomach issues.
10. Watermelon is on the list of foods your dog can eat.
Watermelon is also high in fiber, vitamin A, B, and C. It also contains potassium.
However, watermelon is high in sugar so only give them small amounts like one or two bite sized pieces at one time.
Give your dog too much watermelon and they could have diarrhea.
11. Broccoli is high on the list of foods your dog can eat and recommended by Dr. Danielle Bernai, who is a vet with Wellness Natural Pet Food.
Broccoli contains fiber and lots of minerals and you can feed your dog either raw or cooked broccoli. Just make sure you don’t add any seasonings.
Again, make sure you only give them amounts as too much broccoli can cause gastric irritation.
12. Spinach is high in iron and fiber and is a great treat for dogs that are anemic.
Only give them cooked spinach and only give them small amounts. Too much spinach may cause kidney problems so feed them only occasionally with moderate amounts.
13. Asparagus is high in fiber and contains vitamins A, C, E, B, and K.
Asparagus also contains potassium, calcium, iron, and copper.
Make sure you don’t give them raw asparagus as this can be hard for your dog to digest and may upset their stomach.
My dachshund loves cooked asparagus, and again don’t put any seasoning or butter on it. Just boil or steam it so it is soft and easy to chew.
Make sure to chop up asparagus in small bite sized pieces otherwise they could choke if you give them the whole stalk.
In addition to these top foods dogs can eat you want to select the best dachshund dog food for optimum health.