Stack of newspapers

Newspapers can be around the house or even used in puppy training, but is eating newspaper bad for dachshunds?

Yes, eating newspaper is bad for dachshunds, or any dog for that matter. Newspapers are not meant for consumption and can be harmful in several ways.

Newspapers can create blockages in the dog’s digestive system. This is especially concerning for smaller breeds like dachshunds, whose intestinal tracts are more delicate.

The inks and chemicals used in printing newspapers may be toxic if ingested. While most modern inks are soy-based and less harmful, consumption of large quantities or certain types of ink can be dangerous.

Pieces of paper or newspaper can also cause choking hazards, especially if the dog tries to swallow large or crumpled pieces.

Eating non-food items like newspaper can lead to nutritional deficiencies or imbalances if the habit displaces normal eating behavior.

If your dachshund has a habit of eating non-food items like newspaper, it’s important to discourage this behavior and provide appropriate chew toys.

If you suspect your pet has ingested a significant amount of newspaper, or if you notice any signs of illness or distress, consult a veterinarian immediately.

What To Do If My Dog Eats Newspaper?

If you’re unsure or concerned, it’s best to consult with a veterinarian and always err on the side of caution when it comes to the health of your pet.

If your dog has eaten newspaper, there are some steps you should follow to ensure there is no longer term affect of the action. Do the following:

1. Evaluate the Amount: Assess how much newspaper your dog has consumed. A small amount might pass through their system with minor or no issues, but a larger amount could be more concerning.

2. Monitor for Symptoms: Watch for signs of distress such as vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, or difficulty defecating. These symptoms could indicate a blockage or other digestive issues.

3. Remove Access: Ensure that all newspapers and other indigestible items are out of your dog’s reach to prevent further ingestion.

4. Offer Water: Make sure your dog has access to plenty of fresh water. Eating paper can sometimes cause mild irritation in the throat or stomach, and water can help ease this.

5. Do Not Induce Vomiting: Do not try to induce vomiting unless instructed by a veterinarian.

6. Contact Your Veterinarian: If your dog ate a significant amount of newspaper, or if you notice any symptoms, contact your vet for advice. They might suggest bringing your dog in for an examination.

7. Observe Stool: Check your dog’s stools and poop over the next few days for pieces of newspaper to ensure it’s passing through their system.

8. Prevent Future Incidents: Work on training your dog to avoid eating inappropriate items. Provide appropriate chew toys to keep them occupied and consider using deterrents to keep them away from newspapers.

What Is Bad For Dogs In Newspaper Print?

In general, while a small accidental ingestion of newspaper might not be harmful, it’s best to prevent dogs from eating it to avoid any potential risks.

The potential dangers of newspaper print for dogs primarily lie in the inks and chemicals.

While modern newspaper inks are typically soy-based and less toxic than older inks, they can still contain chemicals that are harmful if ingested in large quantities.

These inks may cause gastrointestinal irritation or, in rare cases, more serious health issues.

Newspapers can also contain various chemicals used in the printing process, including solvents.

These chemicals might be harmful if ingested, causing issues like stomach upset or more serious health complications depending on the type and amount of chemical.

Apart from the chemical composition, the physical nature of newspaper poses a risk. If a dog ingests large amounts of paper, it could lead to an intestinal blockage, which is a serious medical condition.